Bamford and Martin Ltd was
incorporated in 1913 to formalise a partnership between
Lionel Martin and Robert Bamford. They had been modifying
and selling Singer cars from their workshops at 16
Henniker Place, Callow St, Kennsington, London. A decision
was made to start and build a whole car of their own
design and by 1915, the first Aston-Martin, named Coal
Scuttle hit the road; a second car wasn't built until
1920. Thank goodness they build them a little faster now.
The car pictured on this page is one of
two Grand Prix Team cars (TT1 and TT2) built for Count
Zborowski to compete in the 1922 Isle of Man TT (although
they were not ready in time) and subsequently, the French
GP in Strasbourg. It is the oldest surviving racing Aston
Martin and thankfully is still actively used on the track
to this day. Originally featuring a engine with twin
camshafts and 16 valves, the car is now fitted with the
Benson Twin Cam engine. This was designed by The Hon.
John Benson as a new power unit for the cars just before
Bamford and Martin called in the receivers in 1925.
This famous car has for many years now been
affectionately known as Green Pea.
This set of photographs above
show the very last team car built under Lionel Martin; a
two seater with a 16 valve twin can engine, built for
Humphrey Cook for the 200 mile JCC race at Brooklands in
1925. Sadly it crashed on the first lap although it races
Lionel Martin probably concentrated too much effort on
racing and not sufficient on the production of Aston
Martins. A total of perhaps only 61 cars were built during
this era, insufficient to save the company until the
receiver came in 1925 and the demise of Aston Martin
looked certain; the first of many such occasions.