Despite Bamford and Martin Ltd being in
dire financial straits, their efforts with their early Aston Martins were
not ignored. In 1926, a new company, Aston-Martin Motors Ltd. was formed;
an association between the Charnwood family who had supported Lionel
Martin and Renwick and Bertelli Ltd. (owned by William Renwick and
Augustus Cesare Bertelli). Renwick and Bertelli had only just designed
their own car (called the Buzzbox) in order to test and perfect a 1½ they
planned to make and sell to other motor manufacturers. By buying into
Aston Martin, the marque had acquired a new high quality, powerful engine.
Aston Martin moved to a factory in Victoria Road in Feltham, Middlesex in
late 1926 and by the 1927 Motor Show at Olympia, a new range of cars was
first shown. An adjacent bodyshop in Victoria Road was also opened by A.C.
Bertelli's brother, Enrico (later known as E. Bertelli Ltd) and this is
where a vast majority of Aston Martins received their coachbuilt bodies
for the next ten years.
At the 1927 show, Aston Martin unveiled
three completely new models, the most sporty of which was a pretty 3
seater sports model (S-type) on a shorter, lower chassis. The cars sold
very slowly and Aston Martin was close to being bankrupt until a new car,
the International, was shown at the 1929 Motor Show and sales began to
This is an example of a 1929 sports
model with 2 seater bodywork. The 1495cc engine in its earliest form was
able to deliver about 56 bhp, sufficient to power the sports model to
about 80 mph.
First series cars are distinguished from
later cars by their separate gearbox and worm drive rear axle.