The MG J Type was produced by the MG Car
company from 1932 to 1934]. This 2 door sports car used an updated version
of the overhead camshaft, crossflow engine, used in the 1928 Morris Minor
and Wolseley 10 and previously fitted in the MG M type Midget of 1929 to
1932, driving the rear wheels through a four speed non-synchromesh
gearbox. The chassis was from the D-Type with suspension by half elliptic
springs and Hartford friction shock absorbers all round with rigid front
and rear axles. The car had a wheelbase of 86 inches (2184 mm) and a track
of 42 inches (1067 mm). Most cars were open two seaters but a closed
salonette version of the J1 was also made and some chassis were supplied
to external coachbuilders. The open cars can be distinguished from the M
type by having cut away tops to the doors.
The J1 was the four seat car in the range. The engine was the 847 cc unit
previously seen in the C-Type with twin SU carburettors giving 36 bhp. The
car cost £220 in open and £225 in Salonette form.
The J2 was the commonest car in the range and
was a road going 2 seater. Early cars had cycle wings but these were
replaced in 1933 by the full length type that was typical of all sports
MGs up to the 1950's TF. The top speed of a standard car was 65 mph but a
specially prepared one tested by The Autocar magazine reached 82 mph. The
car cost £199.
The J3 was a racing version with the engine capacity reduced to 746 cc by
shortening the stroke from 83 to 73 mm and fitted with Powerplus
supercharger. The smaller engine capacity was to allow the car to compete
in 750 cc class racing events. Larger brakes from the L-Type were fitted.
The J4 was a pure racing version with light
weight body work and the J3 engine but using more boost from the
supercharger to obtain 72 bhp.