home
cars by country
UK cars
MG history
Cecil Kimber
MG No 1
MG J type
MG P types
MG L type
MG N type
MG K Magnette
Airline model
MG A
MG photo album

 


MG Airline car


 


They were based on the Pa or PB chassis

1921, Chalmer & Hoyer

 

Chalmer & Hoyer Coachbuilders was active in volume coachbuilding between the two world wars. H.W. Allingham was sales manager. Factories were in Hanworthy near Poole, Dorset and later the ex-Lang propellor works, the ex-Gwynne car factory. Due to increasing demand and business from Morris (2 closed Morris Oxfords) interest was mainly in closed, not too expensive bodies. They either supplied manufacturers with own variants under their own name or supplied manufacturers via sub-contracts.

Chalmer & Hoyer were the first to take out the “Weymann” license (Bentley, Austin 12, Morris Oxford) and was a pioneer in using jigging for wood frames.

H.W. Allingham had studied installation of a cellulose paint plant for several years in America
 

1925, Chalmer & Hoyal

 

Chalmer & Hoyal were named Hoyal (HOYer and ALlingham), then the Hoyal Body Corporation. Made bus bodies due to unrenewed contracts from Morris which had their own Pressed Steel Company.

1928, Hoyal Bodybuilding Corporation

 

Renamed Hoyal Bodybuilding Corporation in 1928 due to financial squeeze.  Started bodying unfamiliar Wolseley Hornets, Austin 7s, and MGs.

1931, Hoyal

 

Hoyal was sold. John Charles & Co. also named Charles, was formed by ex-employees (John L. Dalrymple and Charles H. Linvesay). H.W. Allingham left and started his own firm Allingham.

1931, Allingham

 

H.W. Allingham was not a coachbuilder, but an independent and influential designer. He had his offices in Central London (10 Stratford Place, London NW1).

He designed the Vauxhall Airline Coupé (Light Six and DX chassis), the Vauxhall Stratford tourer, the Rover Six Drophead and the MG Allingham Coupé bodied for him by Whittingham & Mitchell, the Vauxhall 27hp Coupé de Ville,”St James”  bodied by Motor Bodies, the MG P and N Airline Coupé bodied by Carbodies.

1934, Vehicle Developments

 

At the same time, Allingham formed Vehicle Developments and in cooperation with AMBI-Budd Germany, developed a standardized pressed-steel door and pillar for drophead coupés fitted to many chassis (Austin 12, Ford, Morris, Vauxhall, Wolseley) as the “Sandringham design”. They were made for him by Ranalah, Whittingham & Mitchell, and Jones Bros.

In the 1920s, the car industry was very reluctant to introduce the “streamlining” design to the public. Generally “streamlining” meant the “teardrop” design (per Jaray and Rumpler) with its tail coming to one point and so mounting the engine to the rear.

In the late 1920s, the interest was growing for closed cars and specially the “sport-coupes”; then coachbuilders realized that it was possible to give the illusion to produce “streamlining” by sloping the tail on a conventional front-engined chassis and matching the swept wings.

In 1932, one of the first mass produced designs was done by Rootes, who produced the Hillman Aero Minx designed by Freddy March (later the Duke of Richmond and Gordon) and built by Carbodies.